Senior Tooling Engineer
at Arrivo in Los Angeles
Date Posted: 2017-12-06
Arrivo seeks a highly qualified Senior Tooling Engineer in the downtown Los Angeles headquarters to support the development of novel transportation technology. The successful candidate will have a broad background in high-performance tooling design, analysis, and push to production, with demonstrated capability to deliver from a blank sheet. Our deadlines and timing are extreme, so excellent problem framing and decision-making under uncertainty are essential.
• Lead a team of engineers from concept to product to design a system of vehicles, tools, fixtures, and automated equipment to enable the low cost, high speed construction of a novel transportation system
• Provide hands on support during fabrication, testing, and deployment of tool systems.
• Develop novel tools and methods to reduce cost and build times for routes by a factor of 10 or more.
• Produce toolsets capable of high precision alignment of large structures, at a rapid rate.
• Work with vehicle and infrastructure teams to develop requirements, concepts, and detailed designs
• Provide CAD and Analysis support for projects
• Work with fabrication team and external vendors to ensure on time, on budget delivery of parts and assemblies
• Work with fabrication team to help refine and improve internal manufacturing capability and external vendor relationships.
• Travel to remote sites for testing and issue resolution
• Develop Concept of Operations, procedures for installation, test and refine in the field.
• Develop internal processes for ensuring best practices in design for manufacturability and assembly
• Create engineering drawings of designs to facilitate fabrication and assembly
• 5-7 Years Experience Designing, Building, and Implementing Tools for aerospace
• Weldments (steel and aluminium)
• Assembly Tools
• Large scale projects
• Development and execution of conops using custom developed tools
• Expert CAD user
o Drafting Experience ASME Y14.5
• Proficient at Finite Element Analysis
o Static Structural Analysis
o Modal Analysis
o Buckling Analysis
• Excellent knowledge of vendors, suppliers of toolmaking equipment
• Familiarity with Precision Work ( Temperature controlled environments, tight tolerances)
• Experience programming /operating CNC Equipment (Mills, Lathes)
• Experience programming /operating robots (SCARA, FANUC/KUKA)
• Experience Welding
• Familiarity with inspection tools (Laser Trackers, CMMs)
• Expert at designing for stiffness/strength, tight tolerances, minimizing assembly time, repeatability